If you are using a Responsive Theme for your WordPress powered blog/website, then you can very easily create a mobile XML sitemap for it. This type of sitemap tells mobile bots of various search engines (Google, Bing, etc.) that your blog is fully compatible for mobile users and this may help you in getting good rankings in mobile search.
A sitemap helps bots better discover your website’s content, while Responsive web design makes sure that your website adapts itself to any resolution on which it’s being accessed.
How to create a mobile XML sitemap for WordPress?
When you are using a Responsive theme with your self hosted blog, the Permalinks (URL) structure remains same for all visitors, no matter whether they are using a mobile browser or a computer browser for accessing your website. You won’t face any duplicate content problem, as the URL for both type of users remains same.
1. Install Google XML Sitemap for Mobile and activate the plugin.
2. Now go to Tools >> Mobile Sitemap and click on Generate Mobile Sitemap button:
The plugin will instantly generate a mobile sitemap for your blog and its location will be http://www.yourdomain.com/sitemap-mobile.xml. Whenever you access your sitemap, you will be able to see following information in it:
- URL of mobile compatible pages and posts wrapped inside <loc></loc> tags.
- Last Modification date and time of these posts and pages inside <lastmod></lastmod> tags.
- <mobile:mobile/> depicts that your sitemap is meant for mobile bots only.
You can also submit this sitemap in Google Webmasters Tools and Google will be able to discover it without any problem:
Note: If you are redirecting yourdomain.com to m.yourdomain.com using some other plugin or hack, then this plugin can’t generate a sitemap using http://m.yourdomain.com/ URLs. It can only generate a sitemap using your blog’s default permalink structure.