If you want to remove the background from certain photos and you don’t know how to use Photoshop, GIMP and other photo editing programs, then let’s check out in this post how to do so online?
1. Go to FotoFlexer.com and click on Upload button to upload a photo from your computer OR you can make use of a sample photo to check the demo of the online utility:
You can also import photos directly from your Photobucket, MySpace, Facebook, Flickr, Picassa, Phanfare and Smugmug accounts. Keep in mind before importing photo from these services, you may need to authorize FotoFlexer with them.
2. Once your photo has been successfully uploaded, the utility will load in a Flash based interface, so make sure that Flash is not disabled for your browser and you are using the latest version of it. Once the interface fully loads, click on the Geek tab and then click on Smart scissors:
Smart scissors works just like the image lasso tool in Photoshop.
3. A small circle will appear on your mouse pointer and whenever you click anywhere in the photo it will place an anchor point at that location. When you place a new anchor point, the tool will intelligently draw a line between those two points:
When you are placing anchor points there is no need to be 100% accurate with the edges, as the tool snaps to the nearest edge quite efficiently. If you think that the tool is not snapping properly, then you can always click on Advanced options and adjust the Snap Distance from 1 to 7:
Under Advanced options you can also select whether you want to blur the edges or not?
Also if you place two anchor points very far from each other, then the tool may not know to which edge it should snap to? In such a case you are required to put another point on the red line between two previously placed anchor points OR click and drag where you want the new point to appear:
4. You need to keep on adding anchor points till you have selected the desired outline. Whenever you want to close the selection, just click on the starting point, which will always be a square instead of a circle like other anchor points:
5. Once you click on the starting point to close the selection, the background will become dark:
The dark area will be removed from the final photo and only the lighted area will be included. If you are satisfied with the preview, then click on Create Cutout button and then Save button to save the final photo in either JPEG or PNG Format:
Following is the final photo whose background I have removed using FotoFlexer:
- To preserve the transparency, it’s suggested to save the final photo in .png format on your computer.
- Instead of saving the photo onto your hard drive, you can directly export it to your Photobucket, MySpace, Facebook, Flickr, Picassa, Phanfare or Smugmug accounts.
- You can also share the photo via email, direct URL or TinyPic.
<Image via IRB>