If you are looking to merge, split, unlock and password protect/set permissions for a PDF file, then let’s check out in this post how to do so online?
For combining multiple PDF files into a single one, go to this page and click on Browse button. Now select two or more PDF files stored on your computer’s hard drive:
When you click on Open Button, the service will instantly start uploading your PDF files to its web server and you will be able to see following information on your screen:
- Total Number of uploaded files.
- File names.
- Size of individual files.
- Total size of all files combined.
- Total number of pages in each file.
- Total number of pages in all files combined.
- Up & down arrow buttons for changing the order of files. Files present at the top of the list will be merged first.
If you are satisfied with the on-screen information, click on Merge PDF button and you will be presented with a merged file almost instantly. Feel free to check out the result of the joining process by downloading this merged file created using these 5 files: 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5.
As you can see in above file, the service don’t insert any type of self promoting advertisement OR footer text, which is a great thing. Some of the limitations of the above tool are as follows:
- The maximum size of all uploaded PDF files should not exceed 30 MB. The limit can be slightly raised (50 MB) if you signup for the service. And if you want to increase your maximum upload size to 200 MB, then you have to opt for their PRO plan.
- The service will instantly remove all your uploaded files once the joining process is complete OR within an hour of inactivity.
- If you’d like to further merge the final file, then check the box in front of Retain Files in the Merge dialog box (screenshot). Keep in mind the one hour limit still applies and your uploaded files will be moved within an hour of inactivity.
If you’d like to split a large PDF file then all you need to do is to click on the browse button on this page and upload a file. Once the file is uploaded, the web interface will show you following information about it:
- File name.
- Total size in megabytes.
- Total number of pages.
Enter the page range which you want to extract from the uploaded file and click on split PDF button. The selected pages will be instantly extracted from the uploaded file and you can download them onto your computer’s hard drive in a separate PDF document.
Note: If you want to further split the final file, then check the box in front of retain files in the split dialogue. After one hour of inactivity, your file(s) will be deleted permanently from the server.
If you want to remove password from a PDF file that you have personally created in the past, then head over to this page and upload the file whose password you’d like to remove. Type the password under Specify the password to be used for unlocking the document(s) and click on Unlock PDF button:
If the entered password is correct, then you will be able to download the unlocked file using the download button in unlock dialog:
Feel free to download this password protected test PDF file and unlock it using above utility and password: test123.
Note: The utility can remove only standard PDF passwords for you. If a file has a higher level of encryption like DRM etc., then the utility can’t remove password from it. In such a case you may want to try a desktop utility known as BeCyPDFMetaEdit.
If you want to add a password to a simple/unprotected PDF file, then head over to this page and upload the file for which you want to set permissions using the browse button. You are now required to enter a password and select from following options how you want to secure the file?:
- Require opening password: If this box is checked, then whenever someone tries to open the PDF file, he’s required to enter a password to view its content.
- Allow modifications: If the box remains unchecked, then the PDF can’t be edited in any way.
- Allow printing: If the box is unchecked, then the print function will be disabled for the final PDF file.
- Allow copying or extracting text or graphics: Unchecking this box will disable the copy function for text, images etc. Content from your PDF file can’t be extracted to other third party applications like Microsoft Word, Photoshop etc.
- Allow filling into form fields: No one can enter any text in the form field(s), if this option is unchecked.
Once you have set your desired security level, click on Protect PDF button and you will be able to download a secure file using the download button present in protect dialog.