Dropbox is a popular cloud storage and file sharing service, which offers free as well as paid storage plans. When you first create an account with the service, you get 2 GB of FREE cloud storage space. This initial 2 GB of storage space may not be sufficient for many users, so let’s check out in this post some legitimate ways of getting more free storage space in your Dropbox account.
1. Complete Get Started
As soon as you signup with the service and login to your account, the first page will be about Getting Started with Dropbox. This page asks you to complete following tasks:
- Take the Dropbox tour: This tour will teach you the basics of the cloud storage service like What is Dropbox?, How to use the service anywhere?, How to share files and folders? and How the service keeps your important data safe in the cloud?
- Install Dropbox on your computer: Installing the service’s client on your computer is the best way to ensure that all your files and folders are syncing with the cloud.
- Put file(s) in your Dropbox Folder: Once you have downloaded and installed the service’s client, it will create a special sync folder (known as the Dropbox folder) on your computer. Whatever stuff (photos, videos, PDF files, .doc/.docx files etc.) you put inside this folder, they will get automatically synced to the cloud and will also appear on any other machine of yours with Dropbox installed. The files will get synced on other computers either via LAN sync or via direct download from cloud servers.
- Install Dropbox on other computer you use: When you install the client on other machines, smartphone and tablet devices of yours, everything will stay up to date across all of them.
- Share a folder with Friends or colleagues: The service allows you to create a shared folder and invite people to it using their Email addresses. Invited people will be able to see all the photos, videos and documents that you put inside the shared folder.
- Install Dropbox on your mobile device: If you have an Android OR iOS (iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch) device, then you can instantly install Dropbox on them via their official marketplaces.
Completing ANY 5 of above mentioned steps will instantly give you an additional space of 250 MB.
2. Invite people to Dropbox
This is by far the most popular way of getting free storage space in your account. All you need to do is to invite your friends, family members and colleagues to join the service. Whenever an invited person signs up for the service using your referral link and installs Dropbox client on his computer, both of you will get 500 MB of storage space.
You can try signing up using THIS LINK to get 500 MB of Bonus Storage Space instantly!
When you are inviting people to the service keep following things in mind:
- Free Users can extend their account up to 16 GB by inviting 32 People.
- Paid Users can extend their account up to 32 GB by inviting 32 People. Pro users gets 1 GB (instead of regular 500 MB) of bonus space when someone joins the service using their referral link.
- You will only receive bonus space when the invited person installs Dropbox client on his computer.
- You can directly import all your Yahoo! contacts and send all of them an invitation in one go. If you don’t want to import your address book, then you can manually type Email addresses on the referral page.
- If you have opted for Email notifications, then the service will notify you whenever you get bonus space.
- Do not try to abuse the referral system as Dropbox can remove all your earned storage space. The service may even terminate your whole account and as a result all your uploaded data from the cloud servers will be permanently deleted.
3. Connect your Social Accounts with the Service
After completing getting started with Dropbox, head over to this link and complete following tasks one by one:
- Connect your Facebook account: When you connect your Facebook account with the service (authorization required), you will instantly get 125 MB of free storage space.
- Connect your Twitter account: Connecting your Twitter account with the service (authorization required) will get you 125 MB of bonus space in your account.
- Follow Dropbox on Twitter: If you follow the official Twitter account of the service, then it will award you an extra 125 MB of storage space.
- Tell us why you love Dropbox: If you’re happy with the service, then tell their team why you love using their service and they will award you 125 MB of bonus storage space.
- Start using Mailbox: If you download Mailbox’s iOS or Android application on your mobile device and sign in to your Dropbox account (in which you want bonus storage space), then you will get 1 GB of free storage space.
Completing all the above mentioned tasks will get you 1.5 GB of storage space.
4. Start using Carousel OR Camera Upload
You can get 3 GB of bonus storage space by using Carousel application from Dropbox on your iOS and Android device. Carousel allows you to create a photo gallery in your Dropbox account using photos and videos stored on your mobile device and on your computer (Windows, Mac OS X, Linux etc.).
All your media files will be uploaded to the cloud and will get automatically organised by the application. Once uploaded you can always share them instantly in private conversations.
To get bonus space, all you need to do is to install the application on your mobile device and verify your email address. The bonus will be instantly credited to your account.
Keep in mind that Carousel has replaced the Camera Upload feature of Dropbox. This means if you have previously earned 3 GB of storage space by uploading photographs to your account using camera upload feature, then you will not receive any additional space when you use Carousel!
From time to time Dropbox announces special contests like Space Race, Dropquest etc. and promotions like Samsung 48 GB space promotion etc. The service awards good (sometimes huge) amount of free storage space to all the contest and promotion participants. To know about any upcoming contest, you may want to follow the company’s official Twitter and Facebook accounts.
Last but not the least you can always see the status of your earned space here (example screenshot).