XML Sitemap helps Search Engine Bots better discover your Website’s Content. Similarly, an Image Sitemap helps crawlers (Googlebot-Image/1.0, msnbot-media 1.1 etc.) in finding and Indexing pictures hosted on your Website.
Google XML Sitemap for Images helps you generate an Image Sitemap for your self hosted WordPress Blog. Follow these steps in order to do so:
1. Upload the plugin to /wp-content/plugins/ directory and activate it from Plugins page.
2. Once successfully installed, expand the Tools menu present in the left Sidebar and click on Image Sitemap.
3. Now, click on Generate Image Sitemap button:
The access url for your sitemap will be: http://yourdomain.com/sitemap-image.xml and you can also submit it to Google using Webmaster Tools:
- The Plugin is unable to automatically generate a fresh sitemap as soon as new content (with images) has been added or modified in your blog. Every time you have to generate the sitemap manually from the plugin’s option page.
- If you are using a CDN service like MaxCDN or Amazon S3, which hosts images on a custom domain or sub-domain, then the plugin is unable to add those URLs in the sitemap. It can only include default WordPress Image path i.e. http://yourdomain.com/wp-content/uploads/
- You can also ping Google as soon as your sitemap has been updated using this URL structure: http://www.google.com/webmasters/sitemaps/ping?sitemap=http://yourdomain.com/sitemap-image.xml (not necessary if you have already added it to webmaster tools).