If you do not have a real credit card (or even if you have one), but you do have a State Bank of India account with net banking facility enabled and proper transaction rights, then let’s check out in this post how to generate a Virtual Credit Card (VCC) using your net banking account.
Before we go any further, here are some points about SBI’s virtual credit card that you should keep in mind:
- The card that you will be generating using this facility will either be a Visa or MasterCard credit card. Also you will be able to use your VCC only on those websites which supports State Bank of India’s Debit Card/Visa Card in their payment options.
- The card will be issued in Indian rupees only. While writing this post you can’t generate a VCC in US Dollars, GBP, Euro etc..
- The minimum and maximum amount of a virtual credit card is 100 INR and 50,000 INR respectively.
- The card that you are going to generate using this facility can be used only once (provided that the previous transaction was successful). You cannot use the same card number again and again on same/different website, even if there’s money left in your VCC.
- SBI’s VCC is valid for domestic use only i.e. you can use this credit card for payment in Indian rupees in India, Nepal and Bhutan only. If you are thinking of using this credit card for shopping on websites that are meant for people of USA, United Kingdom, Canada, Russia etc., then you won’t be able to do so as the bank won’t send your payment internationally. Whenever you try to run your VCC on an international website, your transaction will keep on failing, no matter what you do. As of now SBI’s VCC is not meant for international websites/payment gateways.
- The virtual credit card will expire automatically as soon as your transaction is complete. It will also expire automatically if it is not used for 48 hours after its creation. You can also cancel your unused virtual credit card from your net banking account (details below).
- There is no limit on the total number of VCCs that a customer can generate in his account.
- State bank of India won’t charge you any issuance or maintenance fee for your virtual credit card(s).
- If your virtual card gets cancelled or it gets expired automatically, then the lien marked shall be lifted and the unspent amount will automatically be available to you for future use.
How to generate your virtual credit card?
1. Login to your SBI’s net banking account using THIS LINK. Once you are logged in successfully, click on e-cards hyperlink present at the top of the page:
2. When you click on e-cards, the website will ask you to enter an amount with which you want to generate your virtual credit card. The amount must be in between 100 INR and 50,000 INR. On this page you will also be able to see your Bank Account number/ Nick Name, Account type (Savings bank account etc.) and Branch name.
Once you have entered your preferred VCC limit, check the box in front of I hereby agree and accept the terms and conditions for usage of State bank virtual card. Now click on the generate button and you will be redirected to the next page.
3. The next page will ask you to verify the account and virtual card details. On this page you will be able to see the cardholder’s name, account number and virtual card limit. If you are satisfied by the on-screen details, click on generate button and the next page will ask you to enter your high security password.
4. High security password is generally sent via SMS to your mobile number that is linked with your net banking account. Keep in mind that if there is no mobile number associated with your net banking account, then you won’t be able to generate a virtual credit card under any circumstances. First you need to go to your home branch and associate your mobile number with your net banking account.
Once you have entered your high security password, click on confirm button and your VCC will be instantly generated. It will contain following details:
- Name of the cardholder.
- Your unique 16 digit card number.
- Limit of your VCC.
- Three digit CVV code or card security code.
- Expiry date of your card.
- Visa/MasterCard logo.
4. Now when you are shopping something on a particular website, select State Bank Debit card/Visa card in their payment options, enter VCC details and your secure 8 digit password (OTP) that will be sent to your mobile.
5. After successful validation you will receive an SMS on your registered mobile number that the transaction was successful. After the transaction is successful the whole card will automatically expire and cannot be used again.
How to check your VCC’s details and current status?
After generating your Virtual Credit Card, if you’d like to check its details as well as its current status then all you need to do is to follow these steps:
1. Login to your net banking account, click on e-cards and then click on virtual card details tab. You will now be able to see following things:
- List of last 100 virtual cards that you generated in your account.
- 16 digit VCC number.
- Date of creation.
- Expiry date of the card in MM/YY format.
- Limit of each VCC in Indian rupees.
- Used amount.
- Current status of your virtual credit card which can be unused, expired/cancelled and transaction successful.
If you click on any card’s 16 digit number, you will be able to see following details for it:
- Name of the card holder.
- Virtual card number.
- Issue date.
- Expiry date.
- Merchant name – The name will be displayed only if your card has been successfully transacted on a particular website.
- CVV code of your card.
- Limit of your card.
- Current Status of your card.
- Source account number – This will be your State bank of India’s account number.
How to cancel your VCC?
After generating a VCC, if you’d like to cancel the card permanently for some reason, then follow these steps:
1. Login to your net banking account and head over to e-cards. On e-cards page click on Cancel Virtual Card tab and you will be able to see all those virtual card numbers that are currently active in your account.
2. Select the virtual card number that you’d like to cancel and click on cancel button.
3. Once you click on cancel button, the next page will show you a message which will say that your card has been successfully cancelled and the card amount shall be unblocked in your account within an hour:
- Before you generate your virtual credit card for buying a product online, you should always take additional taxes, if any, into consideration that are applicable on your product.
- If you want more information or have any query, then you should contact State Bank of India directly, not us.