VPN stands for Virtual Private Network, which helps you remain anonymous on the web by keeping your internet session secure and hidden. The network not only provides you with online privacy, but also helps you connect to the internet when blocked by a firewall or some other similar software.
Advantages of using a Virtual Private Network:
- Completely masks your original IP Address allotted by your ISP – The VPN server provides you with a new IP Address, which becomes your new online identity.
- Establishes an Encrypted connection between your computer and various web servers, thereby making browsing completely secure.
- Helps in preventing your ISP from monitoring your internet session and activities.
- Helps you to do business oriented tasks like Audio-Video conferencing, Desktop Sharing and File Transfer securely.
- Stops applications and people, who are tracking you through your IP Address.
- Helps you to access blocked websites like Facebook, Twitter, YouTube etc. and also allows you to bypass proxies and content filters.
- Allows you to access Skype and other VOIP based services, in case they are blocked.
- Gives you protection against DNS Spoofing.
There are many FREE as well as paid (but cheap) VPN Services available, that doesn’t require any kind of complex installation or configuration. Just install the client and they are ready to use!
List of Free VPN Services
Hotspot Shield offers a wide range of features which includes Malware Protection, Ad-free browsing and can automatically detect infected, phishing and spam websites. It has a personal secure tunnel that encrypts your data and prevents snoopers, hackers and the ISP from viewing your web browsing activities, instant messages (IM), downloads, credit card information or anything else you send over the network. The service also provides unlimited bandwidth usage.
Hotspot Shield works on following platforms:
- Windows XP, Vista, 7 & 8
- Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, 10.7 Lion & 10.8 Mountain Lion
- Android 2.x & 4.x
- iOS 4.3 and later (Compatible with iPod Touch, iPhone and iPad)
The mobile app is also capable of data compression on supported devices, which helps you save money on your data plan.
CyberGhost is a reliable and secure service, that not only protects your internet browser, but also protects other programs that are currently running in the background. The service transmits encrypted data packets between your computer and the Server, thereby protecting your online privacy and identity.
The services assigns you an IP Address, which it shares with large number of other users, thereby making you completely anonymous. The service can also circumvent geographic, IP and other blockades and lets you surf as an American, a German or a Dutch visitor.
The free plan is limited to 1 GB of traffic per month and provides you with speed of upto 2 Mbps. Its Paid Plans are quite affordable, which comes with extra traffic, access to premium servers and premium support. The service is currently available for Windows, Mac OS, Linux and Android.
TeamViewer is capable of handling your basic Office related needs, as it is a Business oriented VPN Service, ideal for small to medium sized Businesses. It provides Client to Client data protection i.e. only you and the other client can read the data, not the routing server, with full packet encryption based on Public Key Cryptography.
Using the software, you can easily perform secure Business Operations like Audio-Video Conferencing, desktop sharing, file transfer and even check the records of various control sessions. The software is available for Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Android and iOS users.
OpenVPN uses an encrypted tunnel to keep user data connection secure. By making use of Google DNS, the service blocks potentially harmful websites and also protects your computer from malware like Viruses, Trojans, Spywares etc.
When you browse the web, your data appears to come from an IP Address of OpenVPN Sever, which makes you untraceable and no one can easily monitor your Internet Activity or Session! It is currently available for Windows, Mac, Android and iOS.
PacketiX is a reliable service that provides you with its non-commercial academic version for FREE. The service ensures good browsing experience with decent speed and by using their shared VPN server cluster, you can create your own private and secure VPN Hub.
The server administration is done over an easy web interface, for which you are required to download the manager, install it on your computer and start working on it instantly! It is currently available for Windows and Linux OS.
SecurityKISS has a built-in Exclusive Tunnel that secures and protects your data at its best. To ensure maximum Security of Gateway, everything is kept encrypted (1024-bit). The client has a very simple, clean and easy to use interface and its online data compression feature enables high speed web browsing.
The service doesn’t requires any type of registration, username or password. You only need to launch the client and it will get instantly connected to a VPN Server. It works with all major platforms that allows OpenVPN, PPTP and L2TP connections. The client as well as the server logs minimum amount of information, so that you remain completely anonymous.
It is available for Windows, Mac OS, Linux and iOS.
USA IP offers VPN plans for all major countries in the world (US, Europe and Asia) and works with all platforms that allows PPTP, L2TP, SSTP and OpenVPN connections. It offers high grade (2048-bit) data encryption and helps you remain anonymous by keeping your network connection protected, so that you can even use any Public Wi-Fi without any worry!
The service offers unmetered traffic and you can download and install the free application from here. Some advantages of a paid plan over a free plan are as follows:
- No forced disconnections.
- VPN Guard.
- Automatic re-connection to VPN server, in case the connection breaks.
- Access to all VPN servers (free plan have access to limited number of servers)
- Unlimited Speed
- No restrictions on sending Emails and VOIP messages
In short, if you are considering using this service, it’s suggested to use their paid plan.
- When using a VPN, you may experience slow data download speed. This depends on many factors like How many people are using the same server at the same time?, How far is the VPN server?, Are you using a Free plan? etc.
- Almost all of the above mentioned services supports Windows 8 (and 8.1) OS.
- Some services only supports 64-bit (x64) operating system. Read the system requirements of any VPN client carefully, if you are using 32-bit (x86) version of any major OS.
- Try to keep your OS, Security software and VPN client always updated.