If you are an existing AirTel broadband subscriber and want to increase your connection speed up to 2 Mbps OR want to increase the data transfer limit, then let’s check out in this post how to do so?
Update(1/4/2014): SOD is not working for anyone any more and it seems like the service has been permanently discontinued by AirTel. Also, the company has updated their Smartbytes system and you can read more about it in this post.
Speed on Demand (SOD)
SOD service allows anyone to upgrade their connection speed up to 2 Mbps for a certain period of time (say for 2 to 3 hours). Some features of this service are as follows:
- You can increase your connection speed anytime throughout the day. Changing the speed doesn’t change your current data plan.
- Pay as you go (see hourly rates below).
- Unlimited usage and no extra data transfer charges.
While writing this post the hourly charges for the service are as follows:
|Cost per hour (8:00 hrs to 22:00 hrs) in INR
|Cost per hour (22:01 hrs to 07:59 hrs) in INR
All you need to do is to Select your Location from the drop down Menu, check your DSL ID and choose your speed. Once you select your speed, the SOD service will start for your connection instantly and its session will keep on running unless you terminate it manually.
Note: The service is currently available only in selected Indian cities. If you use SOD, then the usage charges will be added to your next bill. You are not required to pay anything OR enter your credit/debit card details at the time of service activation.
1. Visit this page using your AirTel connection and click on Broadband. The immediate next page will show you following information:
- Your unique Digital Subscriber Line Identity aka DSL ID.
- Data Transfer Limit for your current plan.
- High speed data (in Gigabytes) left in your account.
- Number of days left in your current billing cycle.
2. For purchasing additional data, select Yes and then click on Submit Button. The next page will show you all the available Smartbytes plans for your location/state. Select your preferred plan and click on submit button:
3. Follow the confirmation steps on the next page to complete your transaction:
- Smartbytes deals are accessible only from your own broadband connection. If you try to visit the page using some other ISP, then you will receive an error.
- Additional purchased gigabytes must be used within your current billing cycle. If you fail to do so, then the remaining megabytes or gigabytes will not be transferred to your next cycle.
- If you have any query or problem, then you should contact AirTel customer care, not us.